Sunday, January 15, 2012

BLAH.

My FAVORITE AP COMP CULT and I read this book, "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell, for our book for our class for this little fun time called BLA.
Which I thoroughly enjoyed :)


And I'm going to be honest about this book. It was very well written, but I didn't really like it.

The subject matter was very interesting, throughout the book Gladwell spoke about the reasons why certain people are successful, and it was presented in a fresh light. Gladwell depicted the information in a creative way, in a way that I wouldn't have thought of had I not read this. For example, Gladwell wrote an entire chapter on cultural differences in airline companies that caused plane crashes. 

However, I felt that a lot of the information was redundant. Each situation posed the same question: "Why are people successful?" It's a question that can be explored in many different ways, and I think that Gladwell took the same approach in every situation that he wrote about: he gave an image of a circumstance, gave another image that seemed like it wasn't connected to it, and brought in statistics that proved both of the points to be true.

Gladwell did a spectacular job proving himself to be credible and logically intelligent throughout this book, which I comend him for. I just thought that, in general, the book was boring. I fell asleep while reading it multiple times. This book just failed to keep me interested, and I think it was because of the redundancy of his statistics and his SUPER academic tone.

Don't get me wrong, an academic tone is great and it's one of the reasons why I thought that Gladwell was very credible throughout the entire book. But the academic tone overpowered his voice. When that happens, the little voice in my head that's reading the book goes all monotone on me, and the book I'm reading starts to act as a sedative.

I would recommend this book to you if you don't mind SUPER SUPER ACADEMIC tone with little voice and lots of statistics. If you're like me, and get bored quickly if there isn't a lot of voice in the writing when you're reading, I'd stay away if I were you.

No comments:

Post a Comment