Saturday, October 8, 2011

My Family

"And I'll grow old with these kids next to me, 'cause I know what I've found."
- Brookline Drive

I've found my family.
Seriously. My Theatre Family. 

We're all "theatre kids." The term, "theatre kids" has many different connotations, depending on who you ask. Some will say that "theatre kids" are the most confident people out there, the ones who are willing to put themselves into crazy situations on the stage and embarrass themselves in front of live audiences. Others will say that "theatre kids" are the crazy weird people, the people who sing show tunes all day long, are sometimes willing to fight against their best friends for a coveted role, make up fake families, and hug each other constantly.

I define being a "theatre kid" a little bit differently."Theatre kids" are usually the most extroverted, the most authentic, the most dramatic, and the most intense people in this world. At least, that's the way I see it. "Theatre kids" share a bond with each other that is inexplicable to anyone that has never done a show before. When you're in a show, you rehearse with the same people for weeks on end; perfecting songs and dance moves, sharing your time and sweat to achieve the ultimate goal. "Theatre kids" share this experience together, and this is what makes them so close with each other. I know that some of my very best friends I have met through the shows I've done.

Tonight, I went to a fundraising gala for Blue Water Theatre Company, the company in which I've done five shows now. A video was shown about all the different elements of the theatre company; the directors, the rehearsing process, the traditions, everything. This video just made me realize how extremely lucky I am to be a small part of something that has the power to change people's lives. I know for a fact that theatre has done that for me.

An alumni actor then went up to speak, and spoke about his family at the Theatre Company. I've always thought of my theatre friends as a family, but it kind of just hit me tonight how actually true this is. I am so close to all of my theatre friends; we all have very similar personalities and all experience the same feelings during the course of the show, from the butterflies when the cast list is posted, the drive and motivation felt during rehearsal, the adrenaline-fueled "high" during a performance, and the gloomy sadness felt when the show ends.

I love these people so much. My Blue Water Family means so much to me, and I wouldn't change any of my experiences with them for anything.


P.S. The song I quoted at the beginning of the post was Eighteen by Brookline Drive.
CLICK ME to check it out :)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment